Wednesday, December 30, 2015

GodLink #4: Community of Believers


Although I started feeling the benefit of being near other Christians almost immediately when starting to go to  Church, I did not truly feel the working of God into my own life through others until I started having really deep, candid conversations with some of my new Christian friends. The healing, encouragement and support that comes from sharing ones story with another who truly cares, and has the same world view as you have, is incredible. It did more for me than therapy. More than counseling.

So that is how God came to me through others. Through hearing their own life stories, and how God was involved in them. Through having them listen, really listen, and care. And NOT judge, criticize or condemn. I remember the very first person I confided my abhorrent challenges to. She was a colleague who walked very close to God. Her immediate response, without hesitation, was that God can fix this and that I would get through the issues. Not one other confidante had this view. To them the situation was hopeless. Mostly from non-Christian sources, but also from a few "Doubting Thomases" who professed to be followers of Jesus.

In the years since those first dark days, I have been blessed with a Community of Believers around me that exceeds the bounds of our local church. It spans continents. I have "Soul Friends", Spiritual Guides, Brothers and Sisters in Christ, Men's Groups & Spiritual Supervision Groups. All who are placed to feed & grow my own spirituality while I get to feed & grow others in the same way. I cannot imagine living life & facing the challenges of daily existence without these networks. And it started with 2: My dear wife, and a work colleague. TWO people with the same worldview & heart for God helped change my life forever.

So have a chat with that "Christianese" speaking guy at the office. Share a coffee with one of the people you've seen at church before. Call that "Bible Basher" family member & tell them about your journey. See what happens ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment